April 21, 2010 § 2 Comments
This recipe can easily be done in the slow cooker. It’s fragrant yet still light and does not overpower the taste buds.
- 500g chicken thigh fillets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, halved, diced thinly
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped, or one 420g can of diced tomatoes
- 1 3/4 cup vegetable stock (homemade is best for flavour)
- 1/2 cup natural yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh continental parsley
- On a high heat, place oil in a large heavy based saucepan and put the chicken thighs in, flat. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 4 minutes until golden, turn to the other side, repeat and then remove from the pan.
- Saute garlic, onions in the pan until cooked. Then add the fennel seeds and paprika. Cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes and stock. Add the chicken. Bring pot to the boil and then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Uncover and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the yogurt. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with steamed Basmati rice.
This tastes even better the next day. Other vegges could be added too for nutritional benefit (for children) such as mushrooms and sweet potato, or even pumpkin. My girls lapped this up and my almost 3 year old asked for seconds!