Authentic Indian Dhal
April 16, 2010 § 3 Comments
The secret to this recipe is how you cook it. Low, and long is the key. Many thanks to my friend R who pestered her mother for the recipe for me.
- 500g lentils – I used drained and rinsed organic tinned lentils (2 large tins)
- 1 brown onion, diced thinly
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed and diced
- 1 tin diced tomatoes, or 4 fresh tomatoes diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 pinches turmeric
- 2 pinches ground fennel seeds
- 1 pinch chili powder
- 1/2 cup water
- Salt to taste
How to make it
- On a med/high heat, add the oil and saute the onion and garlic til the onion is translucent.
- Add the spices and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring to prevent it burning.
- Turn the heat down to low and pour in the tomatoes, water and lentils. Season with salt, stir to combine.
- Put the lid on the saucepan and let this simmer for up to 2 hours. I did it for 1.5 which was perfect for me.
Serve with pita bread to dip it in/slather it on.
This makes enough for 4 small serves, or 2 big ones.