Good ol’ Spaghetti and Meatballs
March 30, 2010 § Leave a comment
Here’s a tried and tested recipe for no-fail spaghetti and meatballs which your children will devour and your husband will delight in! These taste even better the next day so it won’t be a complete tragedy if there’s leftovers – they make a delicious lunch. 😉
In a bowl combine:
- 500g pork mince
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 mushrooms, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1 shake of Vogels’ Herbamere* or a good seasoning of salt and pepper
Make sure the mixture is thoroughly mixed, this is best done using your hands.
Cook the meatballs:
- Preheat heavy based wide frypan/skillet on a med-high heat
- This is done in 2 batches. To the pan add 2 tsbp rice bran oil and using a soup spoon scoop some of the meat mixture, roll in your (wet) hands into balls and place onto fry pan.
- Cook for 3 mins either side til browned, remove from heat and place on plate.
- To the hot pan, add 1 tin of diced tomatoes and 1 jar organic pasta sauce. Skim off excess oil with a spoon. Simmer on a med heat for about 3 mins.
- Add meatballs back to the pan, into the sauce. Cook on a med/low heat for 20 minutes until the meat balls are cooked all the way through.
- Serve on top of wholemeal spaghetti with lashings of Parmesan cheese.
*Vogel’s Herbamere can be found in the health-food aisle. It’s a certified organic all purpose season – adds great flavour and depth to meals.